Mercury Retrograde - What is it all about?
Astronomers watch the planets each night as they travel through the zodiac. Mercury, which is only just visible before sunrise or just after sunset, travels in a forward direction most of the time. However, 3 or 4 times a year, if you watch carefully, it appears to turn around and go backwards for about 3 weeks. In fact, Mercury is not really going backwards, it's an optical illusion based on the relative speeds and orbits of the Earth and Mercury around the Sun.
For example, when you are riding in a fast car on the motorway and you are passing a slower moving car - the slower moving car appears to be moving backwards, but in reality it is not. It's the relative speed and direction of the two cars that creates that illusion. Mercury retrograde is similar to that.
It is important to be aware of the Mercury Retrograde that is starting on Wednesday 24th September and will stay there until October 15th.
What does Mercury Retrograde mean?
It is commonly known in astrological circles as "Murphy's Law" - i.e. if something can go wrong, it will. For example, it is a time when computers crash, software develops unexpected glitches, you get stuck in a traffic jam, equipment breaks down, letters get lost in the mail and new projects fail.
Mercury goes retrograde at least 3 times a year for about 3 weeks at least each time.
The general effect of Mercury retrograde is frustration and annoyance. Little things go wrong, especially connected with communications, verbal activity, technology, short trips and journeys. For the most part, Mercury retrograde produces lots of minor irritants - and there are several things you can do to protect yourself during Mercury retrogrades:
- if at all possible, avoid signing any legal documentation. For example, try not to sign a lease on a property.
- avoid starting new projects
- try to avoid making any big decisions
- if you can, finish up any projects that involve communication before the retrograde starts
- allow yourself extra time when travelling
- make sure you back up your hard drive and any other important information before the retrograde
- try not to install any new computer software at this time
- do any repairs on equipment before the retrograde starts
On the other hand, Mercury retrograde has some advantages. It is a great time to:
- follow up on projects that you have already started
- complete projects that you have put into motion
- research something in great detail - just make sure you dont take any action until Mercury has gone direct again
- catch up on any paperwork that has been languishing on your desk or in your drawers
- tidy up your computer and get everything into ordered folders
To find out how Mercury retrograde might affect you personally in your life usually requires a good knowledge of astrology. The best thing to do is to go for a reading to your astrologer. Check out my website for more information: http://www.yourastrologysigns.com/